2012年5月1日星期二

I would continue to be an activist in raising SMA awareness

The “bucket list” baby whose battle against a rare disease captivated the nation has died. At just 5-months old, Avery Canahuati, who Louis Vuitton shoes, cheap louis vuitton sunglasses sale, 60% off suffered from spinal muscular atrophy, took her last breath on Monday. Her father Mike Canahuati posted the sad news on the blog, “Avery’s Bucket List,” where the family, in infant’s voice, compiled a list of things she wanted to do before she died. “Avery passed away yesterday sometime around 3pm due to pulmonary complications related to SMA,” he wrote on Tuesday. “In short, one of her lungs collapsed and she went into cardiac arrest." Avery’s parents launched the blog last month after they learned their daughter had a genetic disorder that would only allow her months to live. Doctors gave her up to 18 months to live, but it turned out she had even less time. “We had several days of sitting in shock and crying and then we pulled ourselves out of that,” Laura Canahuati told ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “Since we had such a short time, we knew we wanted to make the best of it.” As the parents chronicled their lives with Avery on the blog, they checked things off the bucket list — “wear a big bow on my head,” “have a bad hair day,” “play with Play-Doh,” “throw the first pitch at a baseball game,” and more. SEE WHAT ELSE AVERY CROSSED OFF HER BUCKET LIST In addition to ‘GMA,” the story of the Canahuati's bravery as their family faced a rare and fatal disease was picked up by major networks like CNN and Fox News, pulling in louis vuitton men hoodies millions of viewers. More than 600 people commented on the post about Avery’s death, many thanking the family for being so inspirational and spreading awareness of SMA. “It is amazing how you can fall in love with a little gal you have never met!” wrote one reader. “I am heartbroken for you all. I think what you have done in the past several weeks is amazing, and I know it isn’t over.” “Because of you I now know about SMA and will continue to spread the word,” wrote another. On Tuesday, Mike Canahuati posted Avery’s final note: “When I started writing this blog, I thought I’d only be speaking to my closest friends and family members,” it reads. “Little did I know soooooooo many people would care about me and while I’m flattered to have so many people who love me, I hope they will also take time to love and care about all of my friends out there with SMA.” Now, Laura and Mike Canahuati are trying to cross one last thing off Avery’s bucket list: Raise $365,000 for a program to help find a cure for SMA. The disease, which is characterized by muscle atrophy and weakness, usually occurs early in life and is the leading cause of death in infants and toddlers. Except for mild cases, SMA is usually fatal. One in every 6,000 to 10,000 are born with it, according to the SMA Foundation. “Before Avery passed away, I made her a promise that I would continue to be an activist in raising SMA awareness, making genetic testing universally available, and in finding a cure for her friends,” Mike Canahuati wrote. “I will not break that promise and in the name Bestseller louis vuitton shoes for men discount on sale 2012 blue of SMA awareness and finding a cure, I hope parents of children everywhere will look at Avery’s Bucket List and help her complete items she was unable to.”

没有评论:

发表评论